Bridgeport Casino Kitchener
Greetings! Welcome to another edition of the WRX Property Group Real Estate Blog! Lately, we’ve been diving into the history of the Waterloo Region, finding what pearls of wisdom we might find. Today’s historical entry pertains to a specific neighbourhood in Kitchener: a neighbourhood that, not so long ago, was its own separate community, but now constitutes a diverse and growing part of the overall city. Our point of entry? A certain casino, which though no longer a casino, still serves as an important part of the neighbourhood. So, without further ado, let’s consort with Bridgeport (no need to contort, unless as a last resort)
River Port, Bridgeport
Waterloo and Kitchener (or, as it was known until 1916, Berlin [there’s a separate article on the Berlin to Kitchener Name Change; read it here]), along with several other nearby communities, were founded in the early nineteenth century by a group of adventurous Mennonite settlers from Pennsylvania. The earliest iteration of Kitchener dates back to around 1803. Bridgeport took shape a couple decades later.